Most people who collect never achieve a large or exceptionally valuable collection.
Have a website where people can show their private – even small – collection. Be it a collection of blue bottles, stamps, or art. The size or value does not matter. People can browse the pictures of their collections, and it can also function as a marketplace for buying and selling collections.
Icons made by Freepik
Have an outline of the book and write the first one or two chapters. Make sure that the chapter has real value to the reader and can stand on its own. If it’s just an overview (non-fiction), or it takes more than one chapter to get the reader immersed, this will not work. Readers have to get actual value from it.
Advertise (to the right target audience) and sell this chapter for a very low price ($1). The objective is not to make money but to get the seed of people who are willing buyers. In your ads, you can communicate this as an experiment, and explain why it’s special.
Why is it special?
1. Everyone who bought the first chapter will now be a part of the editorial process for the rest of the book.
2. You will consult with them and get their feedback. They’ll get an outline of the next chapter, plans for the cover (towards the end), etc. This will make them feel good, and you will get help in tailoring the rest of the book even better to the target audience.
3. They’ll have a chance to invite others to buy the next chapter published (with the first of course, for $2.) This chapter has their input already in it, so they are motivated to spread the word.
4. They will also have an online editorial wall, where they will be listed. When someone they invite buys the next chapter (with all the others published before), their status and position will increase on the online editorial wall.
5. When the book is finished, they’ll have a chance to sell it and make a commission. By that time many have already invested so much time, it’s like selling their own book.
You repeat this for each chapter until you finish Make sure you make each chapter have its own value independent of any future ones, but make sure there is always a cliffhanger, giving them reasons to buy the next chapter.
By the time you finish this book, not only will you already have sold many copies, but you will also have an army of readers that will be ready for your next book.
Testimonials can be more than just a social proof tool; they can do the actual selling for you.
When asking people for their testimonials, instead of just asking them general questions and having them express their general feelings towards you or your product, ask them leading questions to help them express their experience regarding specific benefits and features of your product. This way if that person is willing, and you ask the right question, you turn them into your sales person and get the social proof of them saying it and not you.
You built a local business and now would like to sell it (retire, do something else, etc.)
A service that sits with the seller to determine potential buyers and valuation. When valuation is agreed upon the service has exclusivity for a period. It then offers the business to its expanding buyer network. The service can sell at a higher price and keep the difference, or go the commission way.
They are mostly board and need some distraction which is a good time to sell to them.
Build a local wifi network on the vehicles of the public transportation (tram, bus, etc.), incentivize the travelers to connect by giving them discounts, achievements badges, etc. Have special exclusive offers and content only available there. Monitor their behavior to personalize your communications with them. Share revenues with the transportation company.